University of Wolverhampton
Who we are
The University of Wolverhampton (‘we’ or ’us’) are a ‘Data Controller’ for the purposes of the Data Protection Legislation (including the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation) and we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. This notice explains how the University and Education Central collect and process your personal information for dealing with course bookings, informing you of events and marketing purposes and for managing the NQT pool applications.
Information We Collect
We obtain personal information about you from the following sources:
- Schools / Academies / LA / MAT
- Your name and job role are provided to us when you are booked onto an event.
- Information provided by you
- [i.e. You provided your personal information through one of our websites, by registering as a user or applying for a course / event;]
- [i.e. You completed a sign in sheet or evaluation form and provided your email address]
- [i.e. You completed an application form for the NQT pool];
- [i.e. You provided personal information as part of discussions with any of our team or representatives, such as our teaching and learning team]
We may process the following personal information about you:
- [i.e. your title, full name (including former name or alias), gender, date of birth];
- [i.e. your education record (Degree and Award details, Year of study and graduation)];
- [your contact information (home/term time address, telephone number(s), email address)];
- [your business details, including positions, organisation, professional memberships and qualifications];
- [your outside interests and memberships];
- [information available through the media or the world wide web];
- [your family/next of kin details, including your spouse/partner];
- other information you share with us.
Personal information we collect about you may include “special categories” data, such as information about your racial or ethnic origin, religious or other beliefs, physical or mental health and criminal offences/proceedings. “Special categories” data would only be processed where you have provided it yourself (with your consent), for example during discussions with any of our representatives or where such is recorded for the purposes of assessing accessibility requirements arising as a result of a disability, or where this information has already been made public or processing is required by law.
How We Use Your Data
Education Central collects data to be able to inform you of events and services and to discharge appropriately the contracts we have with you. We collect personal information to enable us to deliver these services and to better understand our community so that we can better meet your needs and improve our services.
We may process your personal information for the following purposes:
- Administrative purposes:
- event registration;
- to keep a record of communications between us; and/or
- to understand who is using our services
We may, from time to time, contact you by email, post or telephone to pursue the purposes mentioned above and in particular for the following reasons:
- To keep you up to date with events and activities at the University of Wolverhampton;
- To share news and achievements of the University and its staff/student body, including research and services;
- Invite you to events, which may be of interest to you;
- To keep you up to date with other relevant information, which we think may be of interest to you]
If you would like to opt-out of the above Communications, please let us know. See ‘How to Contact Us’ below for further information.
Who your information may be shared with
Your personal information is held [insert hosting location i.e. securely on a database]. We may disclose your personal data to other companies within our group, third parties working in partnership or on behalf of the University, and/or Government Agencies where required to do so by law.
We do not transfer your personal information to third parties outside the EEA or to territories without adequate levels of protection.] Where personal data is processed by a third party, we take reasonable steps to ensure that the data is processed strictly according to the instructions of the University, for the relevant purposes only and securely destroyed or returned upon completion/termination. We take reasonable steps to ensure that third party processors are subject to written legal obligations in respect of data protection and the duty of confidentiality.
We do not sell or rent any personal information or data supplied by you. We may compile aggregate statistics and provide them to third parties, but we do not include personal information that identifies individual users.
We may retain your personal information for a period of 12 months or as long as necessary and in line with our statutory/regulatory obligations where appropriate.
If you wish to request for any of your records to be removed from database, or would like to opt-out of any or all communications from the University of Wolverhampton, please see ‘How to Contact Us’ and ‘Rights of Data Subjects’ below for further information.
Rights of Data Subjects
- Right to request a copy of your information
You can request a copy of your information which we hold (this is known as a subject access request). If you would like a copy of some or all of it, please visit the University of Wolverhampton Data Protection web pages available .
- Right to correct mistakes in your information
You can require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold free of charge. If you would like to do so, please write to us (see ‘Contact Us’ below) and provide us with enough information to identify you, as well as, inform us of the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with.
- Right to ask us to stop contacting you with direct marketing
If you would like to amend your mailing subscriptions or unsubscribe from the University of Wolverhampton Alumni Association (WLV Alumni Association) you can do so by emailing .
Lawful basis for processing
The University may rely on one or multiple grounds for processing your personal data including:
- You have provided consent for the processing;
- There is a contractual commitment to provide the services and, therefore, processing is necessary to meet those contractual obligations;
- Supporting [insert any purposes in the public interest that apply] is in the public interest, in particular, allowing for the enhancement of the University’s charitable purposes and the subsequent benefits to society;
- The information is available to the public at large; and/or
- The processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests of the University or other third parties and does not affect the fundamental rights and freedoms of the individuals concerned.
How to Contact Us
Should you have any queries, suggestions or issues please do not hesitate to contact the Education Central office on 01902 518593, Education-Central@wlv.ac.uk or you can write to us at the following address:
University of Wolverhampton
If you have any concerns or believe that your personal information is being handled in a manner which is contrary to statutory requirements, you may wish to contact the University of Wolverhampton’s Data Protection Officer via firstname.lastname@example.org or complain to the ICO via www.ico.org.